Can I get to speak to someone?

Yes. You can contact the Branch Office between 9am and 4.30pm each weekday and one of the Branch Administration staff will pass your enquiry to the appropriate Branch Officer. Outside of office hours there is an answering machine available or you can contact UNISON Direct on 0800 0857 857.

back to top

How long do I need to be a member before I can get legal advice?

You are entitled to legal assistance from Thompsons Solicitors if:

  • You have been a member of UNISON for 4 weeks prior to requesting legal help.
  • You are up to date with your payments to UNISON.


back to top

What do I do if the Staffordshire Branch Office is closed?

If the Branch is closed you may contact UNISONdirect on 0800 0857 857, whose lines are open from 6am until Midnight on weekdays and from 9am until 4pm on Saturdays.

If you wish to speak to someone at the Branch you can leave your name, contact number and brief details of your query on the answer phone and someone will contact you when the Branch is open.

back to top

Who will be my representative?

Advice and representation should initially be provided by your Workplace Steward. If you do not have a Workplace Steward you should contact the Branch on 01785 245000 and your query will be referred to the Assistant Branch Secretary responsible for your area.

back to top

When will I get my membership card?

Once the Branch has accepted your application to join a membership card will be sent from the Regional Office approximately 4 weeks later.

back to top

What is the local levy?

The local levy is 20p per month and is payable by ALL members of the Staffordshire Branch of UNISON. The local levy payments go into a Branch Hardship Fund, which is accessible to members who suffer extreme hardship during periods of industrial action.

back to top

What is the political fund for?

As a UNISON member a portion of your subscription goes into either the General Political Fund or into UNISON Labour Link (formerly Affiliated Political Fund), depending which you chose on your application form. It does not cost you any more money to pay into either fund, you just have a choice on how your money is spent.

General Political Fund

The General Political Fund (GPF) was set up to allow the union to collect money from members specifically to fund political campaigning work. It is not affiliated to any political party, but the money in the fund is used to support local campaigns, to give a boost to our big national political campaigns, and to pay for political advertising.

Much of the high profile political campaign work you see from UNISON is paid for by the GPF. The GPF funded a TV recruitment advert 'You're one in a million', launched in October 2004. Also, in the run-up to the local elections in May 2004, the GPF funded a number of adverts in local areas where the BNP were standing as well as adverts in national newspapers.

UNISON Labour Link
(Affiliated Political Fund)

UNISON members have a very direct way of getting their message across to politicians - through political lobbying. When you join UNISON you are given the opportunity to opt in to what we call the UNISON Labour Link (formerly known as the Affiliated Political Fund or APF). Your contributions to this fund help to facilitate our lobbying within the Labour Party.

This enables us to promote members' views and argue for UNISON policies, which will improve working terms and conditions, help protect public services and create a better society. It's the opposite of a blank cheque for Labour. We keep up the pressure and use our valuable links to get UNISON's agenda heard.


back to top

I do not receive UNISON Communications - what should I do?

You should contact the Branch Office on 01785 245000 and ask one of the Branch Administration Staff to check your personal details on the database.